Thursday, January 21, 2010

Miso & Barley Soup

Our lunchtime parade of soups continues...
Miso & Barely Soup
Matt has been wanting to make a miso soup for awhile & we finally remembered to pick up some miso at the grocery store. This soup with the addition of barley really appealed to us because we felt the barley would make it a little more filling & it has a lot of nutritional value. We had originally planned to also put some tofu in it but felt it wasn't needed in the end. This soup had a lovely broth. Matt really loved it. I liked it quite a bit but thought perhaps it could have used a touch more miso.

Miso & Barley Soup
(adapted from the New Soy Cookbook)

1 T olive oil
2 large leeks (about 2 cups), sliced, white & light green parts only
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 c white wine
4 c stock, chicken or vegetable
4 c water
6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed & chopped
3 large carrots, halved length-wise & cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 c pearl barley
4 T red miso
salt
flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish

In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks & onions & sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the thyme & wine & cook until the wine reduces by half. Add the stock, water, mushrooms, carrots, barley & miso. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover & simmer for 30 - 45 minutes until the barley is tender. Taste & salt if desired. Garnish each bowl with chopped parsley.

5 - 6 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

What a great idea for miso soup! I usually have a container in stock but haven't ventured beyond (surprise!) tofu and wakame. Barley is an excellent alternative to noodles to make it more hearty - thanks so much for the suggestion!

Elle said...

We love love love Miso soup! It's amazing how simple it is to make, and so customizable, too. Love the smart addition of barley!

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt... great recipe. Miso is a terrific way to bring more protein into a dish without adding meat. Your recipe has some great flavors, too. Many thanks...

Sara said...

Yum! I'm definitely trying this one - I've been wanting to make a miso soup for a while now! Thanks!!

grace said...

i'd like to thank you for not making a silly pun using the word "miso." those get old. :)
great soup, kat!

Unplanned Cooking said...

I've never made miso from scratch, but I used to make it out of those packets (how gross is that?) when I was pregnant (I craved all sorts of weird things when I was pregnant). This looks great.

Sook said...

I love miso soup! I've never tried adding barley but sounds fantastic!

Lori said...

I say this at the risk of sounding like I am putting you on but swear to God, I made miso soup a few nights ago. At the request of my daughter I bought tofu and made her miso soup. Which she gobbled up. I did not however add barley but what a splendid idea. I KNOW I would love this.

amycaseycooks said...

I like the addition of the barley to the miso soup. I am always wanting something a little more when I eat it and the barley will do the trick.

Deborah said...

I'm not a miso expert - I actually just tried it for the first time. Would white miso work for this, since that is what I have??

kat said...

Deborah - I'm not a miso expert either but I think white would work just fine, just happened to have red on hand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota